Super First Division 
January 7, 2017, 1:45 pm
Petershill F.C.
1 - 3
Girvan FC
Petershill Park

Match Report

Another good away win for the Seasiders as they contend at the top end of the League.

With both Tony Murphy and Robert Paterson on holiday in came Davie Cunningham and Michael Reilly to lead the line. It was Petershill who started brightly when after 4 minutes a cross from the left was just missed by two of their strikers in the Girvan box.

It was the visitors however who went ahead after 10 minutes. A Davie Jardine  free kick was cleared but only as far as Scott Dinwoodie and his volley from 22 yards out flew straight into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Stephen Auld then burst through but the keeper blocked his shot from close in. The second goal soon followed when Michael Reilly broke free from his marker and  beat the keeper with a shot from the edge of the box.

Petershill were still a potent threat up front and in the 20th minute there was an almighty scramble in the Girvan box which resulted in Stevie McCreadie clearing off the line. Minutes later and a Petershill fee kick flew high and wide of the Girvan goal.

Girvan went three ahead in the 32nd minute when a great run by Jack McDowall saw him play in Michael Reilly and his shot from 20 yards clipped the post and landed in the net. Next up Michael had an overhead kick from a Stephen Auld throw which went just wide before finding himself one on one with the keeper only to have his shot well saved.

Back came Petershill just before have time and only a great save from Scott Johnstone prevented the home side from getting one back. So in at half time 3-0.

Girvan had to make a change early in the second half with Marc Cameron replacing Stevie McCreadie. Petershill were pressing hard with corners and fee kicks. On the hour mark a clash of heads in the Girvan penalty box resulted in treatment for both their number 10 and Stephen Auld. After 66 minutes Marc Cameron blasted his shot across goal but their were no takers. Scott Johnstone was then busy at the other end when he got down well to save a shot from distance.

Girvan should then have been out of sight when Davie Cunningham broke through but as he drew the keeper he decided to shoot rather than play in Michael Reilly and the chance was lost. Petershill then got back in the game in the 80th minute when, after a scramble in the box, Cassells bundled the ball home. Andy Stevenson then replaced Davie Jardine and his first touch was a shot on target blocked by the defender and then saved by the keeper.

Girvan then saw out the game and were deserved winners. Next week is another away fixture at Renfrew Juniors who have had a  a great run of results recently.


Name GLS PENS Cards
Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Yellow Card
1Yellow Card


Name GLS PENS Cards